Tuesday, November 03, 2009

I am who I am

As I was going through our Judge Business School news I came across this article ‘these bodies are beautiful at every size’ regarding glamour magazine starting to work with all types of models in all shapes, sizes and colors. This link was in our JBS news as an alum who is studying for his phd on ‘how women in the US, Canada and the UK respond to advertising images’ was also quoted in the article. He also runs a modeling agency for women of all shapes and sizes. http://www.benbarry.com/ I really like the tag line ‘every woman is a real woman’.

I’m very glad to hear about all these initiatives, as I think one of the biggest issues almost all of us have is this body image issue… and only seeing perfect airbrushed women on magazines and TV doesn’t help in self confidence… so I think seeing more and more campaigns with real women would help boost the self image of everyone…

After all we all age, and beauty is a temporary thing, so I think its important not to base our whole self worth on it... This also reminded me of the famous book Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wild about the hansom youth who gets a portrait of himself painted and sells his soul in order to look like the picture forever, young and hansom, while the painting withered and aged… so as time went by and he lived a sinful life his picture got more and more disfigured, but his face remained perfect… In the end, Dorian decides to kill his sins and his past by destroying the portrait, but in doing so he kills himself instead.

Ofcourse I think we should all try to look our best, men and women both, and make the most of what we have and be healthy, but there are certain attributes that cannot be changed such as height, body shape, colour and so on… so we just have to learn to be happy with what we have and who we are… that’s true self confidence…. To be able to go out into the world saying ‘I am who I am’ with your head held high…

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Atasha said...

Very well put! These images that are put out in the public and are supposed to be "regular" women have certainly caused others to have self esteem issues. I have a friend, she is older than I with 2 kids, and her husband, yes her husband believes what he sees in this magazines and ads to be "real". As a result, he is constantly finding all her "flaws", in his mind anyway. She's a tiny thing, and every time I talk to her I try to make her feel good about herself but it's not working. This same person has a daughter who is 5. Sadly the daughter has already started finding fault with herself. She is always saying how her tummy is fat, now mind you she is not. Terrible cycle, because she is obviously getting this from the parents, No wonder so many teenagers are struggling with anorexia and bulimia.

Sorry about the book hahaha... Always happy to read your entries even if I don't comment. Strapped for time these days. Hope you are well

2:06 am, November 06, 2009  
Blogger Roshanthi said...

Thanks Atasha, I;m doing well thanks. Hope you and your family are well too. Yes it is very sad that the 5 yr old is starting to have issues... hopefully things will start to change even if slowly...

12:27 pm, November 06, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home