Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Barrier Free Communication

I just watched a movie called “Who gets the house”, I don’t think it’s a very famous movie but it had a really interesting concept.

In it this kid develops a theory called “Barrier Free Communication”. He believes that we only hear what we want to hear and that in the first instance itself if we don’t like someone or have some kind of prejudice against that person, we’ve already decided that we won’t like what’s being said and don’t really listen. So he decides to test this theory by blind folding two people who hate each other and changing their voices through a ‘voice emulator’ to sound like someone they like. Then he tells them to get to know each other and try to find things in common, just no personal questions which would give-a-way the identity of the other person. Since they heard the voice of someone they liked they started on a positive note and went on to realize that they had things in common. So finally when the blind folds are removed the enemies became friends. Using this method he managers to get his parents who are on the verge of divorce to really listen to each other and make up…

Obviously this wouldn’t work with everyone and sometimes there are real reasons for people to dislike each other, but I feel that as the father said at one point “We see what we choose to see”, if we’re looking for reasons to dislike someone we’ll find them and vice versa. Often I have made up my mind about people way before really getting to know them, and stuck to those prejudices in spite of this person doing things proving the contrary.

Of course you can’t go through life wearing “rose tinted glasses” I learnt that lesson the hard way soon after I started uni and realized that everyone is not genuine in their intentions… At the same time you can’t got through life in “black tinted glasses” either. I find myself sometimes failing to acknowledge the good things that people I don’t like do… I guess the secret to a happy life is to find the correct balance and try to look at the world objectively…

I was just reminded that I should start to look at the bright side of life again. I know that my profile says this about me but I seem to have forgotten it due to the frustrations of life…

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Atasha said...

I am so very guilty of this I'm kind of ashamed to admit it. I've become much better about it since the kids came along.

6:42 am, June 20, 2006  
Blogger ipodmomma said...

very interesting!!!

that bright side is always there. just sometimes it is hard to see.

9:44 am, June 20, 2006  
Blogger megz_mum said...

Nicely written, and very true. The "Life of Brian" song "Always look on the bright side of Life" is stuck in my head as I am typing this!

9:26 am, June 21, 2006  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Smiley ~~ An interesting post. We all
try to look on the bright side, but it is not always easy. We can all improve, and take people as we find them. We should not judge other people at all, but especially when we do not know them
well. Thanks for your comment and glad
you liked the Time poem. Take care,Merle

10:32 am, June 21, 2006  
Blogger Turtle Guy said...

Some real food for thought here, Smiley! Life is far too short to hold grudges, stay angry or consistently surround ourselves with negative people. I may just have to track down this film - sounds inspiring!

6:25 pm, June 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truly inspirational, I think I'm gonna get me glasses with half the lens rose tinted and the other black so I can find that balance. lol. Jus' a naughty thought.

11:33 am, June 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home