Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Seeing the glass half full...

Since the day I arrived in Sri Lanka the most common question I have had to answer is ‘Is it difficult adjusting back to Sri Lanka after staying for four years in Switzerland?’ or ‘You must be missing Switzerland a lot'. My reply is always, it's your attitude towards the location rather than the specific place. Of course if you are in a place where you don't have the basic necessities like food, or water, then its a different fact all together, but as long as you have the basic necessities and try to make the most of life, it does not matter where you're located.

Everywhere you go there will be wonderful things and problems it’s upto us to focus on the good and ignore, or try to change the negatives whenever it is in our power. It was the same even when I left Cambridge, though I thought I would miss it, after I came back to Sri Lanka I loved being back home. Again it was the same when I went to Switzerland; I really enjoyed the experience as you would already have seen from my earlier posts even though many people called it a boring sleepy town. I loved the mountains in the distance, the amazingly efficient transport system, and meeting all those wonderful people from all over the world, not forgetting the chocolates of course. Now the same people ask me how can I leave such a wonderful developed country and come back home? Its the usual 'grass is greener on the other side' syndrome... 

I tell them, that in Sri Lanka I love spending time with friends and family, I like the fact that I don't have to wear layers every time I want to go out, understanding what people say and being able to get things done and seeing the beautiful beaches everyday, and I like to think that I can be part of the development of this lovely Island that has been ravaged by war for over 30 years! Sure I can think of thousands of annoyances here too, but not dwelling too much on them is the secret to stay happy.

I think its similar with people too, no one is perfect, but then no one is all bad either, most of the time there's good and bad in all people, so in order to enrich your relationships it is important to focus on the good, and if it would help, try to give feedback in a constructive manner, to help the person improve. 

This post also ties back to my earlier post on Stopping the spread of negativity. It's important to realise that there are problems, and try to improve them if possible, and if not ignore them and focus on the positive sideof life. So I'll end this post with my favourite 'Serenity Prayer'.

God grant me the serenity 
to accept the things I cannot change; 
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.


Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

--Reinhold Niebuhr

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Vidia Paramita said...

Hi Roshanti! In the gathering today Mark said you blog so I did a little stalking and found your blog :) Looks like you are enjoying Sri Lanka with the hubby!! Have fun and yes.. go away negativity!!!

You are missed!

Vidia

10:52 pm, December 09, 2011  
Blogger Ryan Remark said...

Hi Rosh,

Ditto Vidia! And quite fittingly St Francis de Sales (former bishop of Geneva) has it "...be at peace then, and put aside all useless thoughts, all vain dreads and all anxious imaginations." I love that translation. Btw, did you know Niebuhr's serenity prayer continues?

Mark

5:18 pm, December 12, 2011  
Blogger Roshanthi said...

Thanks for your comments Vidia and Mark.

Yes I'm enjoying my break these days before joining 'rat race' next year.

I just added the 2nd part of the serenity prayer which I did not know. Thanks for enlightening me Mark. :)

10:48 am, December 13, 2011  
Blogger Vidia Paramita said...

Aaah it continues! Thx for that!!

6:00 am, December 17, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home