Sunday, January 25, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

I just watched Slumdog Millionaire and I think this was one of those really classic movies after a long time... It is a story about a teenager who grew up in the slums of Mumbai about to win 20M in 'Who wants to be a Millionaire' and how he got there. (I will avoid talking much about the plot as I think you should all go see it!)...

It was sad but at the same time it was a story of love, hope and survival. I know that some critics say that the story line is highly improbable, but in a way it's like a fairy tale where it might not happen in real life just as it is, but is a story of how love will conquer all and of hope...
But at the same time it was also showing the life of slum dwellers, and beggars... what I've seen often in Sri Lanka... It also spoke of one of the issues I often have when I see beggars, cos I feel so sad, and want to give them money, but if I do, am I giving it to the poor girl or boy or to some enterprising rich man trying to profit from the misfortune of the poor... I guess the best thing might be to give food, or things that they can consume, rather than money... It is one of the difficult things for me to see the poor, I feel so blessed, yet there seems little I can do to help I can give food or money for one meal, but what happens after?

I'll end this post with the famous line 'if a man is hungry don;t give him a fish, teach him how to fish and he will be fed forever'. I really do admire those that put this into practice and start organisations to help the needy. I guess this is one of the reasons why I like working for the Not-for-Profit sector, as it feels that you're doing something for the 'greater good' even if in a small way.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Anna Scott Graham said...

it is so hard when passing someone who needs assistance, but you just don't know the best way...

sounds like Slumdog is going to do well at the Academy awards...

5:53 pm, February 01, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home