Thursday, December 16, 2010

My big fat Sri Lankan Wedding

It’s been a very long time since I’ve blogged… Last time was before I left on my 4 month vacation to Sri Lanka… and now I;m back with my hubby in Geneva! Today is our 2 month wedding anniversary… can’t believe that 2 months have gone already since our wedding, feels like a few days ago we were rushing around getting everything ready and ofcourse the big day! As they say time flies when you’re having fun

These days we’re settling down in Geneva in my tiny apartment, trying to keep each other warm in these really really cold winter days! It was a major shock to both our systems coming from 30 degrees to -6 and layers and layers of snow!!! Sure it’s very pretty but only if you are snug and warm and inside can you admire the beauty… outside is freeeeeezing, they say global warming is happening, but to me feels more like global freezing. In all the time I’ve been in Geneva I’ve never seen a winter this cold, and even friends who’ve practically lived here all their lives complain that this is one of the coldest and it’s not even Jan yet!  In the last few weeks we both got sick too, but now recovering…

In the last few months there has been way too many things happening to put into a blog post, and the biggest of them was of course my wedding after months and months of preparation couldn’t believe when it was over within a few hours… but all in all, the wedding went really well; everything happened as planned; we had a lovely church ceremony celebrated by our family priest; and all our friends and family were there (couple of my friends even made it from places as far away as Spain, UK and India, especially for the wedding!)… Of course in the usual big (well medium in SL standards with around 300 guests) fat, Sri Lankan wedding style most of the guests were our parent’s friends and relatives of whom we only recognized a handful and we went from table to table with a big smile pretending we knew everyone and thanking for their wishes… I must say that at the end of the day, I think my mouth was numb from too much smiling!

The highlight of the day for me was when my usually shy hubby really surprised me with a really touching reply to the toast! Then we had our first dance to my all-time favourite song ‘Bed of Roses’, we choreographed it as we both love dancing and had a lot of fun.
Since writing about the wedding and the last few months of preparing for it would take forever, thought I’ll upload some pics instead! And there’s many more on my Picasa site http://picasaweb.google.com/roshanthi.lucas/WeddingRoshLakshi# After all they do say that a picture is worth a thousand words!

At church
With our wonderful parents
 The Bridal Retinue
 The happy couple
 With my maid of honour





I’ll end this post with the poem my best friend and maid of honour wrote for our wedding…

Like everything else,
My grandma once said
That marriage is a journey
Like one that of a river

So the river flows
Through even ground
Through brooks and fisherman's nets
To make graceful waterfalls

But it also flows through
Through broken beds of stone
Through rocks and currents
Towards sloppy and slanted earth

But the river flows
Despite the highs and lows
For the journey is good
For the journey noble

So the river flows
Till she finds her peace in the ocean
Her heart felt bosom friend
Her good old all that is

So this is my wish for you
My 2 dear friends
That you flow like a river
And grow and share life together

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Badoo said...

Beautiful blog, Congratulations!!!

4:45 pm, December 19, 2010  
Blogger Emile said...

Wow, you have got a beautiful smile!!!

5:51 am, April 14, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am writing about the Sri Lankan traditional wedding ceremony. Congratulations!

5:28 am, June 06, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home