Friday, November 27, 2009

Making it up as we go along

As you might be able to see already I'm one of those self improvement geeks, who used to buy loads of books. I read all the famous ones frm 'Emotional Intelligence' to '7 habits of effective people', to 'Men are form mars and women are frm venus' to 'Why men lie and women cry' to 'Blink' and the list is endless...

But now I think life the best teacher, and observing and learning from others teaches you much more that what you can read... most things have to be lived and experienced not just read about, It's like trying to learn to ride a bike or swim by reading a book, ofcourse books can help in getting you ready, but in the end you have to jump in and 'live life'.

Though I still consider myself a book worm I'm more careful when reading these ‘advice’ and ‘how to improve your life’ kind of books, yes they can be good in giving you ideas and for certain things, will give you expert advice which can be useful, but each person is different, and what makes each of us happy and successful is also different. I don’t think that there is a perfect formula that will work for everyone... We just have to make up as we go along...

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Anna Scott Graham said...

I completely agree; life and living is where we learn all we need to know. Something I've found in my writing adventures is that all those self-help books (and much of non-fiction overall) start with a platform, the author needing to justify why they've written what they have. Which seems to me as if the book isn't coming from an honest beginning, but a prefabricated career move.

Life isn't prefabricated at all, even when we'd like it to be. Especially when faith is a factor, it's a matter of taking each day and being aware of what comes to us, not of our own planning, but that which is grace.

Have a really lovely Christmas, btw... :)))

3:08 pm, December 12, 2009  
Blogger Roshanthi said...

Thanks :) Hope you have a blessed Christmas too.

11:23 am, December 13, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home