Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Time Killer

Just got back from another one of those 'Time Killer' meetings with a governmental organization. As usual it started about one and a half hrs late. So I started scribbling this, while waiting for the meeting to start. The meeting ended up being a total waste of time, we didn't come to any conclusions. I sometimes feel I spend most of my time at meetings and on the telephone, rather than actually designing or implementing telecom networks. It's so frustrating.
Something I've come to notice with all my interactions with public sector organizations as opposed to private organizations is how much time they waste, and it's really sad cos they could do so much more during that time. I guess one of the main differences between these public orgs and private one is in most public orgs there's no one to really monitor the employees, and no one really feels any responsibility for resources even though in the end it's our own time and money on the line.
If we had to pay, for each second imagine how we'd spend it. As Thomas Paine said, "That which we obtain too easily, we esteem too lightly. It is dearness only which gives everything its value. "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home