Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The song on its mighty pinions took every living soul, and lifted it gently to heaven

I just came across this quote by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and had to post it, as I feel there’s something about songs that can really uplift the soul. (ok not every song, but I guess you know what type of songs I’m talking about )

Come to think of it, I have a song for each major milestone in my life...

One of the songs that’s really close to my heart is ‘Stay the Same' by Joey Mcintire

When I was a little kid I had a strong inferiority complex and always thought very little of my self. I used to be very shy, and rarely spoke, not because I didn’t have anything to say, but because I always worried that others might laugh at what I had to say, so I’d rather be silent. I used to wish I was different and popular. I was usually classified as a 'nerd' cos I always worked hard at school but kept to my self a lot. So I tried really hard to become 'cool' and pretend to be someone I'm not, just to be part of the 'in crowd'...

It was around the time that this song came out (1999) that I realized inorder to really be successful in life, or to really love anyone, you have to start by loving your self. It was a long hard process to get out of the mode of thinking I was already in, but today I can honestly say that I am happy with my self.

I initially started theatre as a way of getting rid of this shyness and it truly did help. I will always remember the advice to me, by the director of the musical I was part of which was to "Lose the Critic and the Judge". What he said was that it was the 'critic' and the 'judge' sitting on the shoulders of each person that keep telling you that others may laugh at you or think that you are weird if you do something different, which is what kills creativity.


People can usually see through the mask, when you pretend to be someone else. Anyway now I know that you don't need the kind of friends who can't accept the person you are. I believe that it's alright to be different as long as you are true to your self and don't hurt others.

So now when people say I'm different, I say I'm Unique. :0) People say this often cos I don't fall in to any of the typical stereotyped categories. I'm an engineer by profession, and rather studious and ambitious when it comes to my work. I also love working with people and find human psychology very intriguing. At the same time I'm someone who loves performance theatre, and singing and dancing as well as adventurous experiences. When I'm with the 'techys' I'm a total extrovert where as compared to my out going drama friends, I'm the total introvert.

Another thing that I have come to learn is that people who are happy with themselves don't try to put others down, I believe that the deep-seated feelings of inferiority is what makes people want to 'bring others down to their level'. Now that I don't care what other's think of me and not too bothered about the 'in crowd' the 'in crowd' comes to me. :0)

As someone whexperiencedienced the whole spectrum from total introvert to extrovert (though the old feelings do come now and then) I know that once you believe in yourself, you can achieve anything.

I know I totally went out of the topic of songs, but thought of ending this post with that song which changed my life.

Stay The Same - Joey Mcintyre

Don't you ever wish you were someone else,
You were meant to be the way you are exactly.
Don't you ever say you don't like the way you are.
When you learn to love yourself, you're better off by far.
And I hope you always stay the same,cuz there's nothin' 'bout you I would change.

I think that you could be whatever you wanted to be
If you could realize, all the dreams you have inside.
Don't be afraid if you've got something to say,
Just open up your heart and let it show you the way.
Believe in yourself.
Reach down inside.
The love you find will set you free.
Believe in yourself, you will come alive.
Have faith in what you do.
You'll make it through.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home