Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Ring Around the Roses...

I guess most of you would have heard this popular rhyme,

Ring around the Roses,
Pocket Full of Posies
Atishoo Atishoo
We all fall down

Today I was chatting with an English guy and some how we got around to talking about rhymes and apperently this is about the Great Plague in England in 1665. According to his interpretation the Posies had be kept by people so that they didn't get the plague, the sneezing is the early sign of the Plague and we all fall down "dead".

I couldn't beleive it. I still remeber singing this and falling down and this used to be one of my favourite rhymes... How could it have such horrific origins! Couldn't people think of anything better to teach little kids than Plague and death???

I was so sad I had to blog about it.

Talking about horrific, I just remebered today is Halloween! I even saw a couple of 'Devils' and 'Witches' and 'Vampires' on the road on my way back from Uni. Halloween has always amused me, it's funny how for one day of the year everyone dresses up and acts like a kid.

Happy Halloween Everyone!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Atasha said...

Ooh how awful! The rhyme that is. What about Rock-a-bye baby. I wonder about it. It's not a nice one at all. Babies and cradles falling out of a treetop. If only a baby knew what he was being told he'd start bawling!

7:36 am, November 01, 2006  
Blogger Turtle Guy said...

Nursery rhymes of old were all about "lessons". Remember this one?

Three blind mice.
Three blind mice.
See how they run.
See how they run.

They all ran after the farmer's wife,
She cut of their tails with a carving knife.

Three blind mice.

or this one:

Hickory dickory dock.
The mouse ran up the clock.
The clock struck one,
The mouse fell down

...blah, blah, blah...

12:55 pm, November 03, 2006  
Blogger Roshanthi said...

Atasha and Turtle, you do have a point there. I just wonder why they all have these awful themes! After all they're just for kids.

12:05 am, November 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home