Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Flutterby




I've always been fascinated by butterflies. I think that they are one of the most beautiful creatures on earth. It’s hard to believe that those colours naturally occur.

I thought of doing this post cos I just received a butterfly pendant for my Birthday. I even used to be called ‘samanalaya’ (which means butterfly in Sinhala) in a class ever since I went to it in a rainbow coloured top :0)

I’ve also wondered from where the name butterfly came (they don’t have anything to do with butter, and look nothing like a fly, don’t you think flutterby sounds much nicer, and that’s exactly what they do!

Just found out from wikipedia though that apparently the word butterfly had come because butterflies were thought to steal milk. An alternative folk etymology, current in Great Britain, is that it originated as a contraction of term butter-coloured fly referring to the Brimstone Butterfly in the pic, often the first butterfly of Spring.

1 Comments:

Blogger ipodmomma said...

wikipedia is a great thing!!!

and those butterflys are gorgeous... I have a cross titch I started a while back, of different butterflies...

maybe I will try and find it!

8:17 am, May 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home