Monday, May 15, 2006

Minting Women Millionaires

I just came across this article on the Business Week website and thought of posting it. Minting Women Millionaires

I was surprised to find out that it was only in 1975 that women won the right to have credit cards and open bank accounts in their own names, without a male co-signer. "We don't always recognize that It's only been since then that women have been able to gain economic independence on paper, create credit histories, and so forth."

Women in the business world and tech world is a subject that's very close to my heart. Something that I have come to realize in my short time in the engineering industry is that if you're a woman you are "guilty until proven innocent" and from the beginning itself you have to work twice as hard to earn the same respect that your male colleagues get.

I guess you might think that I'm a feminist, but I've always disliked that term cos it sounds like I'm "anti-male". All I really want is equal opportunity, without always being considered as the "weaker sex".

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Dimuthu Leelarathne said...

Totally agree. Sometimes it is too hard to prove your innocence!

5:19 am, May 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home