Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Reach for the stars… You just might catch one!!!

Hi everyone, I know I have been absent from the Blog-o-sphere for a while, just been really really busy lately...

Guess what, finally "I'M GOING TO CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY FOR THE MBA!!!!!"

Unfortunately the schols I hoped for and the HSBC loan (I have a bad suspicion that they might have got worried when they saw my salary converted to GBP, but the biggest difference is the fact that that's the usual salary scale here and we're able to live very comfortably on that and save) didn't work out. So now I'll be using all my families’ savings (thank God I'm an only child!) and a loan I was able to secure from over here. I know It’s a huge risk but what I finally decided was that long term I’m sure it’s going to pay off. After all you can’t really achieve anything unless you take risks. I’m really looking forward to studying with a group of very intelligent individuals who have varied experiences and come from very different backgrounds.

I plan on working in UK for a while, atleast till I am able to payback the course fees but long term I'd like to get back to Sri Lanka.

I also got a College at Cambridge University confirmed, New Hall. After waiting for over 3 months for St Catherine’s College and getting rejected, this College offered me a place in just over a week! :0) Just found out that this is a Women’s only College. Hmmm… Maybe it’ll do me some good to hang out with more females considering the fact that I’ve been mainly living and working in a guys world, as I mentioned before in an earlier post I feel like I’m turning into “just one of the guys!"


Anyway I'm so relieved that everything is settled so now I just have to wait for the final offer letter to come from Cambridge and then get my VISA ready. I informed my ‘back up’ unis that I will not be attending their programs.

I really can’t believe this, when I started applying for MBAs a year ago, I applied to many programs and Cambridge was one of my “Wishful thinking schools” and now I’m actually going there. I’m just thinking of all the world famous greats who went there like Sir Isaac Newton, and Lord Tennyson and I can go on and on… and I’ll be joining that same alumni…

“The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to venture beyond them into the impossible” – Sir Arthur C Clarke

I just caught my “Star”…

9 Comments:

Blogger Turtle Guy said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big hugs!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!

OK, OK... I'll be fine... just let me breathe!

Congratulations on catching your star - you deserve it!

7:52 am, July 12, 2006  
Blogger m said...

Hi! Found you through Granny!

Congrats on your acceptance to Cambridge! That is awsesome!!!
:-)
Misty

8:47 am, July 12, 2006  
Blogger Atasha said...

Congratulations! Your name will be with
the "greats" I am sure of it!

9:39 am, July 12, 2006  
Blogger Merle said...

Hello Smiley ~~ Congratulations. I hope
you do really well and enjoy every minute of it. Thanks for your visit and comments. I am a night owl also, never get to bed early. Take care, Merle.

12:09 pm, July 12, 2006  
Blogger megz_mum said...

That is fantastic - good for you! I am sure you will get heaps out of the experience, and out of the study

11:46 am, July 13, 2006  
Blogger ipodmomma said...

wonderful wonderful... so many congrats!!!

:)))

so, might a visit to Yorkshire be in the cards? :))) we'd love to share our neck of the UK with you...

8:01 pm, July 13, 2006  
Blogger Roshanthi said...

Thanks everyone for all the good wishes. I'm soooo excited right now! :0)

Ipodmomma - I do plan on travelling around UK so maybe I just might come around to Yorkshire, time permitting :0)

5:22 am, July 14, 2006  
Blogger ipodmomma said...

yeah! we live not far from the York train station.. when do you arrive in the UK?

8:08 am, July 15, 2006  
Blogger Roshanthi said...

IPM - Well, I'm planning on arriving in UK on the 11th September (I know it's 9/11!!)

You'll hear a lot more about the trip and MBA in the weeks to come :0)

7:41 am, July 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home