Monday, July 17, 2006

The Replacement

Though I have not given my official resignation letter yet, I did inform my boss and the HR Department that I’ll be leaving end Aug for the MBA. So today my replacement just arrived, they thought it would be a good idea to get her at least a month before I leave so that she can learn everything and be confident by the time I go.

It felt a bit weird to have my replacement here already. She’ll be starting work officially on the 1st August but came over to get introduced to everyone. Oh yes, another ‘she’ to the immense relief of all my male colleagues who were worried that they’ll turn into an all male (would you believe that I just spelt ‘male’ as ‘mail’ think my subconscious was telling me something?) team of engineers again. :0) She seems pleasant. I think she’ll fit in to our team. Of course it’s a bit too early to really say…

I remember what it was like when I started work here straight out of Uni… I was pushed right into the deep end, and had to sink or swim. The guy I was replacing was just there for about a week before he went to start his own venture. So there I was the youngest in the group and had to manage projects of one of our most demanding sectors; the Garment Sector… Initially it was very tough and I was putting 14 to 16hr days at work, but once I got the hang of it things really settled down. I guess the most interesting and the most difficult part was dealing with variety of people from different backgrounds, and mindsets. One of the biggest challenges was the fact that I had to act as the project manager and many older, male colleagues resented it. So I had to be very tactful in getting the work done.

I guess it’s getting closer to the end of another chapter of my life. I guess I learnt a lot during the past two years of my life, not only technical but also about what makes different people ‘tick’ and about the way the world is. Most of which you could never learn inside a class room…

3 Comments:

Blogger ipodmomma said...

one of the best places to learn... out in the thick of it!

9:26 pm, July 17, 2006  
Blogger Amit said...

Enjoy the transition. But beware dont get too involved as its quite frustrating as U will feel so frustrated at times wheas to whyc nt she understadn this simple simple thing. I have done quite a few of them so take the advice just chilll,she will work outthings .

cheers
-Amit

6:09 pm, July 18, 2006  
Blogger Turtle Guy said...

Hee hee... although you're choosing to leave, it feels a bit odd to be "replaced" already!

All for the right reasons though!

8:22 am, July 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home