Thursday, January 04, 2007

Christmas and New Years in London

The holiday season was great and I really enjoyed my say in London except for the way it ended. (as I've mentioned in the earlier post.) I spent it with two of my very close friends from Sri Lanka, and it was nice to be able to speak in Sinhala after a long time. They both held a couple of parties and these were Sri Lankan too and we even had a Sinhalese band in one and that was great!!! It's ages since I really listened to good Sinhalese music.

Below are the friends I spent Christmas and New Year with. The second pic was taken on New Years eve when we decided to have champagne before heading out to see the fireworks. (more about it later.)
















I think going to see the live performance of the Phantom of the Opera is one of the major highlights of the trip. I had been wanting to see it for so long and it was everything I imagined. The singing of Earl Carpenter as the Phantom, Celia Graham as Christine and Michael Xavier as Raoul and the rest of the cast was excellent. At the end I actually felt sad for the Phantom.

Below are 2 pictures of the stage, unfortunately they do not allow photos to be taken during the show. The props were magnificent and the chandelier on the left is the one that crashes on stage, it was hung above the audience and for a minute you think it's going to crash on the audience and then it swings and crashes on the stage. One of my all time favourite songs from this is 'All I Ask of you' you can listen to it on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=838Wfr7gHbQ Soon after coming back I found all the songs.









I Went to see the modern reconstruction of Shakespeare's Globe theatre too. Unfortunately they don't do any shows during winter, I would love to see a Shakespeare play there during summer














Of course no Christmas or New year could be complete without shopping. So my friends and I went for all the boxing day sales, unfortunately I couldn't find that many nice things, but I did buy a pretty dress from French Connection UK.

To celebrate the arrival of 2007 we decided to see the Fireworks display near the London eye. The display was magnificent. We ended up spending around 5hrs in the cold to see the 10 minute fireworks display cos we went there early to get a good spot and after it was over most of the tube stations were closed and we had to walk quite a distance to find one that was open.










Left is the Big Ben close to midnight on the 31st and the other is London by night

5 Comments:

Blogger Atasha said...

Oh my goodness! Such fabulous photographs but I love the second one with 4 of you. I don't think there is anything better than a photo of friends, smiling and having a good time.

9:14 am, January 05, 2007  
Blogger Turtle Guy said...

Does it ever slow down for you? Sounds like life for you, too is full and rich!

8:16 pm, January 06, 2007  
Blogger Roshanthi said...

atasha : Oh yes, the I think the best part was getting time to really have fun with my friends. :)

turtle guy : well I try to experiece everything here, cos I'm not sure if I'll stay here after the MBA, and I like being busy :)

but life has slowed down since I came back from London, cos I'm studying these days for the exams next week!

8:53 pm, January 07, 2007  
Blogger PRan said...

Wish U a Happy New year too...

4:57 pm, January 08, 2007  
Blogger PRIYANKA said...

I've never seen an open hearted person like you in my life.You deserve to be the daughter of our much loved lecturer.
All the best for 2007

5:43 pm, January 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home