Thursday, January 04, 2007

It couldn't happen to me...

How many times have you told your self this about many things from mugging? Well it did happen to me and on the 1st of January. What a way to start the new year!

While in London, I was walking from the tube station to my friends place around 10pm after some site seeing (will talk about everything else I did in London in the next post) when a woman came out of no where and said something to me while looking desperate. I was holding my wallet and stopped to find out what she said thinking she might be in trouble. Within seconds she grabbed my wallet and ran. For a second I was taken aback and then I ran after her down a lane shouting that she stole my wallet, but couldn't see her anywhere, and no one near by seemed to care. I even asked a couple of people whether they had seen her but no one seemed to know anything. Then I finally decided to return to my friends place ASAP without wondering around and think about my next step. I didn't feel safe hanging around there.

First thing I did after getting to my friends place was to get my credit and debit cards cancelled. Luckily my friend was about to find out all the necessary numbers for it. Then on the next morning we went to the police station in the area and made a complaint. (don't think that I'd get my wallet but atleast I have done all I could) So in the end I had only lost the £30 cash that i has in the wallet and my university card which has already been replaced.

Well I consider this as a wake up call for me. I've been very careless about my safety since the day I got here saying that it is very safe. I've learnt never to talk to strangers in the night. ( I guess since this woman was small and looked innocent I didn't suspect a thing) I also am going to try to avoid walking late at night as much as possible. I also learnt that I should never have wallets, phones, or anything valuable in my hand when walking, and to have only a little cash as with bank cards, cos the bank cards can be cancelled immediately.

At least this time it was only money and nothing happened to me, so I'm taking this as an early warning to be careful when travelling alone.

Well other than this incident my trip to London was great. I'l write more about that in my next post. Just felt like writing about this now cos it's still very fresh in my mind.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I could just imagine the whole scene. We were very careless as kids, and we still are to a greater extent. Take care of youserlf!

5:13 am, January 04, 2007  
Blogger Atasha said...

My goodness. You are crazy to run after her. You never know what people are up to these days and I am glad that it was only the wallet that was stolen. Please be more careful! How scarey!

My husband has gotten me in the habit of not walking with a dime so I hardly ever have cash. The most I may have in the wallet is $5.00.

11:32 pm, January 05, 2007  
Blogger Roshanthi said...

Yes I have been careless lately and have learnt my lesson. I too thank God that it was only my wallet and nothing happened to me.

I've now got my debit card and uni card and so the only loss in the cash and in the future I'll keep less cash and pay with cards.

8:50 pm, January 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home