Friday, November 24, 2006

Not-for-profit Event

Things are as hectic as usual. On Wednesday Judge held an event in London to promote the Cambridge MBA to professionals working in the Not-for-Profit sector. Few students interested in the NFP sector were invited to come and help with the arrangemnets as well as talk to prospective candidates and give them an idea what Cambridge is like. This was held at the Oxford and Cambridge Club. It was a beautiful old building and here is a photo of the students who went from Judge. This was taken in the Ladies 'power room' as it was called. (what is it about Not-for-profit sector that makes only the girls interested??? not a single guy from JBS attended.)

One of the major differneces between the JBS MBA and most other MBAs (such as LBS, Harward, Insead etc. ) is that Cambridge does not only focus on hihgly competitive 'killer' Investment banking type jobs. One of it's core values is collaboration and since we do most projects in teams we don't try to compete with each other we don most assignments together too. I don't think I'd have survived in 'dog-eat-dog' type of environment.

The CEO of the Royal National Institute of the Blind (RNIB) was one of the guest speakers and her talk was truely inspirational. It seriously made me think about eye sight which I take for granted. I can't imagine going through life blind...

There were some other great speeches by others who are working for the not-for-profit sector as well.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to do one of my projects for the MBA with the RNIB. I'm not exactly sure if I want to work in the NFP sector right after the MBA, but I'd love to work in it long term.

2 Comments:

Blogger Turtle Guy said...

"I don't think I'd have survived in 'dog-eat-dog' type of environment."

Not to worry... it's possible to survive outside of that!

I did some work for the CNIB (Canadian National Institute for the Blind) several years ago and interviewed with them when I was considering a career change a couple years ago. I discovered that "Not For Profit" groups, sadly, don't pay well but when you talk to the employees about "job satisfaction", the response is extremely positive!

12:31 am, November 25, 2006  
Blogger Roshanthi said...

You're right, NFP sector doesn't pay well and that is one of the reasons why I'd have plan to work in something like consultancy first, pay off the loan and then maybe later on shift to NFP.

2:09 pm, November 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home