Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Live like you were dying...

He said I was in my early forties
with a lot of life before me
when a moment came that stopped me on a dime
and I spent most of the next days
looking at the x-rays
Talking bout the options and talking bout sweet time
I asked him when it sank in
that this might really be the real end
how's it hit you when you get that kinda news
man what'd you do

and he said
I went sky diving
I went Rocky Mountain climbing
I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named FuManchu
and I loved deeper
and I spoke sweeter
and I gave forgiveness I'd been denying
and he said someday I hope you get the chance
to live like you were dying.

He said I was finally the husband
that most the time I wasn't
and I became a friend a friend would like to have
and all the sudden going fishin
wasn't such an imposition
and I went three times that year I lost my dad
well I finally read the good book
and I took a good long hard look
at what I'd do if I could do it all again

and then I went sky diving
I went Rocky Mountain climbing
I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named FuManchuand
I loved deeper
and I spoke sweeter
and I gave forgiveness I'd been denying
and he said someday I hope you get the chance
to live like you were dying.

Like tomorrow was a gift
and you got eternity to think about what'd you do with it
what did you do with it
what did I do with it
what would I do with it'

I was listening to this song and suddenly this started to have a special significance to me. Though I don’t think I’m dying (you never know when the day will come) in a way there is a similarity, since I’ll be leaving SL for atleast 2 to 3 years, and by that time I don’t know where my friends will be… (they may have migrated or gone for higher studies themselves) and I'll be starting work at a new place and so many things would have changed...

I'll So these days I’m trying to meet up with all my friends and spend some quality time. I’m also visiting places in Sri Lanka where I’ve always wanted to go without putting it to the future. At work I’m trying to make sure I wind up everything cos though I won’t be here, I wouldn’t want people to complain that I started a lot of things and left without completing them. (I know how usually whenever something goes wrong in a project the scapegoats are always the ones who’re not there to defend themselves. So I want to make sure that I reduce the possibility of that happening.)

It’s funny I’ve gotten in touch with (met or called) more old friends in the past month, than I had for years…I really don’t know for how much longer I would have waited to get in touch with them if not for the fact that I’ll be leaving the country soon. It feels like the end of one chapter of my life and the beginning of a new one...

3 Comments:

Blogger Rosie said...

Hi smiliem you dont know me, but i often read your blogs and admire the way you write, and what a beautiful person you sound to be from them...:-)
well this song, is beautiful, and in a way a carrying a messege for us all i guess right? We should live every moment to the fullets, and treasure each moment; as God knows when we might not have or see the next oppertunity!

So when do you leave for yr MBA?
I can imagine how mixed kind of emotions you must be having right now! Anyways here's wishing you all thebest,may all your dreams come true.
God bless U.

11:42 am, August 07, 2006  
Blogger Roshanthi said...

Hi Rosie,

Thanks for your comment. Well I'll be arriving in Cambridge on the 11th Sep and start the course on the 18th.

Hope to see you more often in the blog-o-sphere!

1:44 pm, August 07, 2006  
Blogger Turtle Guy said...

They say we start dying the day we're born... perhaps that's a good time to start!

...and how much time do we spend talking about living and don't?

10:38 pm, August 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home