Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Monk who sold his ferrari

I've also started to catch up on my reading (trying to do everything which I kept postponing saying that I'm too busy, before starting to get too busy again!)

I just completed reading The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari, which is the story of Julian Mantle, a hotshot lawyer whose out-of-balance lifestyle leads him to an almost fatal heart attack in a packed courtroom. His physical collapse brings on a spiritual crisis that forces him to confront the condition of his life and seek answers to life’s most important questions. Hoping to find happiness and fulfilment, he embarks upon an extraordinary odyssey to an ancient culture, where he discovers a powerful system to release the potential of his mind, body and soul, and learns to live with greater passion, purpose and peace. The book is written in the style of him sharing this extraordinary story with his law colleague.

I felt that the style of the book, made the message drag a bit, but it had some good insights. The seven mail principles for better living according to the book were:

Master your Mind
Follow your purpose
Continuous Improvement
Live with Discipline
Respect your time
Selflessly serve others
Embrace the present

One particular quote really stood out in my mind, and I really this it's so true...

“Sure I am this day we are masters of our fate, that the task which has been set before us is not above our strength; that its pangs and toils are not beyond our endurance. As long as we have faith in our own cause and an unconquerable will to win, victory will not be denied us.” - Churchill

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger ipm said...

very nice and true...

each day things to remember...

8:32 pm, September 19, 2007  
Blogger Turtle Guy said...

MASTER YOUR MIND
RESPECT YOUR TIME

Both are areas I must engage in more fully.

7:07 pm, September 24, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home